Sunday, January 28, 2007

A gluey situation

I love to scrapbook. Most of the time. Other times, I'd rather toss everything on a huge bonfire and forget the urge. Usually my frustration with scrapbooking happens when my supplies don't work as well as they should. Or maybe it's my total clumsiness with those supplies. Give me a glue stick and I'm a whiz----once the technology gets to a higher level, I need an instruction manual.

Yesterday I made a trip to Wallyworld to buy some glue runners. This was in anticipation of having time to PLAY today. My past history with glue runners hasn't been too great, but I figured if I took my time and tried real hard, it might work. It didn't. Or should I say they didn't.

Figured I had about an hour to scrapbook in my walk in closet. The weather has turned brutally cold and the closet has a slanting roof that's not insulated. Decided I could stand it for about an hour. My first step was to open the new glue runners. Did that okay, took it carefully out of the package and dropped it into the handy holder. It actually snapped shut and looked on the verge of working. I should have known better.

You'd think that if you dropped something straight from the package into the holder it would work. I did. I was wrong. Sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwllyyyyyyy, I ran the wheel along the page to be glued. Got a few strands of glue and half a page of my scrapbook ran up into the glue and clogged the back wheel. Okay, a minor setback. . . .

Half an hour of minor setbacks later, I had glue on my fingers, in my hair, a long strand of the white paper the glue is glued on before it comes off where you glue cascading over my table and a LOT of frustration. Figuring I'd given that glue runner a proper chance, I decided to take the second one out of the package and begin again. Maybe I got a faulty one the first time.

Would you believe two faulty glue runners in a package? Neither would I. It kind of tips the laws of probability or something, huh? Which leaves me to only one conclusion---I better go back to glue sticks. It's just those little glue runners look so convenient, so easy. And since these are only the sixth and seventh I've ruined, I just might try again tomorrow.

I ended up gluing one sticker on a page (peel and stick) and a date (prestickied numbers.) The rest of the glue is all over my table, the floor, the wall, my dress, my house shoes, the space heater, Mary, the cat, who jumped up to try to help, and I'm sure I'll discover a bunch of other places I never expected. The package promised me 175 feet of glue. Boy howdy, they sure were right! Too bad they didn't tell me that wouldn't be on my scrapbook pages. . . .

4 comments:

CJ Kennedy said...

I hate those glue runners, I can never get them to work. Yup, glue stick is good though I've found over time it dries out and unsticks. I also like glue dots. If the paper is heavy enough, I use Ailene's Tacky Glue, sometimes I water it down a bit as it can be quite thick.

Erica Vetsch said...

Poor Donna. I hope you got the glue off where it shouldn't be and onto at least a couple of places it should be. LOL

Anonymous said...

LOL, Donna! That happened to me when I bought them! I stick (no pun!) to the dots also, even though I have little papers all over the place.

~Jo-Ann

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh. And I completely relate.

Laurie Alice